Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 4: Linux Mint

       Linux Mint is a distro I found very similar to Ubuntu.  It has the same kind of look and feel except with a different desktop environment.  When you install mint you'll probably notice that the installer is nice and also very similar to Ubuntu.  When it's done it's not as similar to Ubuntu but it is somewhat.  The best thing about this distro is it comes with Open JDK already installed which makes it very easy to run Minecraft and many other programs.  In the long run I don't know that much about Linux Mint because quite frankly I always avoided it before.  Ubuntu in my opinion is a better Linux and you can install java quite easily on it (though it takes some command line but that's a thing to get used to because a lot of Linux is command line).  I like the nice Unity desktop environment and that's what makes me favor Ubuntu.  Though I haven't tried the Linux Mint out much it just doesn't have that nice beauty of Unity, Gnome or KDE.  I also found it runs kind of slow in Virtualbox and I have a pretty nice PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment